Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wine, Candlelight, and Hot Water

I continue the reading of No Greater Sacrifice by author John C. Stipa, now sharing 100 words of Chapter XXVIII, page 169:


      "...Caressing some bubbles between her fingers, she thought of David. Their recent intimacy touched her deeply. David, the tower of integrity and honor, but with inner demons, finally finding the courage to open up to her. The revelation was humbling. This man had so much going for him, yet he was so shackled by internal strife. His face appeared in the flame of one of the candles. Crippled by self-doubt, he was a flicker of his potential. "Unfulfilled" was the word he had used. How to help him grapple with his fears? I'll find a way.
     The combination of wine..."

***

Previous WoW 100 excerpts of "No Greater Sacrifice":

No Greater Sacrifice WoW 100 Words


***

What are you currently reading? Snag the WoW Weekly 100 Words badge and link for your post and hop along with us this week to share a bit of the book(s) occupying your time.

Note: I use The Word Count Tool to count my book excerpts.

10 comments:

  1. This book just seems to be getting darker and darker..... I can hardly wait to crack it open myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "No Greater Sacrifice" is truly an enjoyable read, Brenda. I look forward to "our" reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not darker so much as deeper - into each other's thoughts. And a little symbolism as well with David's face appearing in the candle flame. This scene was inspired by the bathtub scene in City of Angels with Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't feel this excerpt created a "dark" scene; rather, I got the impression the characters are "melding".

    John, I want to thank you for the addition of your comments on my posts as I share "No Greater Sacrifice". It is always good to be able to interact with the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melding...good word. Going to use that one at some point. Thanks Ruthi!

    Yes, beneath the puzzles and cave ins lies a story of tentative human interaction and the walls we put up around ourselves...and then what it might take to break them down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The underlying theme adds an emotional tension to the storyline. I like it. And I must add that I await Renee's walls being dropped...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued to read this book! I am also glad to be back in the swing of things and contributing again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you posting, Stephanie, you have been missed! I'm sure you would definitely enjoy the reading of this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!