Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Are we Screenwriters of our Lives?

I am thoroughly enjoying the reading of No Greater Sacrifice by author John C. Stipa. It is difficult to choose an excerpt to share, as I am finding each part of the story intriguing with meat of the story in each morsel.

This week I share 100 words from chapter VI, page 55:

     "...a test."
     "I wouldn't put it that way. Maybe His plan is as simple as this: He built a place for us to be born, live, and die, to quote you. Either we choose to live a good life or we don't. And when it's all over, it is we who control whether we are worthy of His company."
     Renee sat forward and squared her body to him. "You make it sound like it's a theatre production for God. And life on Earth is the audition."
     "Yes, only we are the screenwriters, with the ability to dictate our own legacy."

And later in this dialogue, David asks Renee, "You got a better theory?"

How about you? How would you answer the question?

My response would be similar to a poetic creation of mine of January 2010, originally posted to Gather as Supporting Players...



And ... What are you currently reading? Snag the WoW Weekly 100 Words badge and link for your post and hop along with us this week! We'd love a morsel of the meat of the story you're reading.

Note: I use The Word Count Tool to count my book excerpts.


8 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I do love the title of this post...I might have to ponder that for a bit. Are we the screenwriters of our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, having asked this question, due to the dialogue shared from "No Greater Sacrifice", I cannot help but ponder also, Are we the Screenwriters of the lives of others as well? And that pondering correlates with your "Disrupted Lives" somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote this scene to show Renee and David as intellectual equals. I don't take a position, but hopefully it serves to stimulate discussion...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello John! Delighted to see the author commenting on shared excerpts of his book. It's definitely good to know what the author has in mind when writing a scene, so thank you. So far, I have found the interaction of your characters in "No Greater Sacrifice" quite invigorating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome. It's fun to relate what I was trying for and learning whether the scene came across that way I intended. Renee is a spitfire who has met her match in David.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A spitfire, indeed! I have to think she has red roots, ha! (I'm a redhead, I can say that!) Yes, you definitely convey that David and Renee are jousting a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red roots - too funny. I chose chestnut colored hair for this wily female. But the heroine in my new book does have auburn hair and green eyes.

    Yes Renee & David are mentally jousting, but he wouldn't have been able to even have such conversations if it weren't FOR Renee - which is surprising to him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give her hazel eyes, John, the color changes to reflect her many moods and personalities.

    Yes, though David seems to pull Renee out, somewhat, too. I see her beginning to trust him...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!