Friday, January 7, 2011

Book Blogger Hop 7

The Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Jennifer at Crazy-for-Books.com, connects book bloggers and readers together, linking blogs with a Linky list. It's a great way to meet and greet fellow book bloggers.

Each week there's a member-provided question to answer and post to your blog. This week's Book Blogger Hop question is provided by Ivan Bookworm. Great thought-provoking question, Ivan, and I thank you.


"What book influenced or changed your life? How did it influence/change you?"

I don't think any one book has changed my life; however, I do believe all of the books I've read in my lifetime have had their own influence on my life at the time. Several books stand out in my mind as examples of such. The Bible (KJV) has always been a source of comfort and inspiration. Women Who Run With the Wolves, by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, is probably the most inspirational book I've ever read and stands alongside my Bible to be read and re-read often. And the most writing inspiring books on my list are from many years ago: anything by the author Khalil Gibran and/or Rod McKuen. As a teenager and young adult I read these authors often and feel they influenced my dream to write and share my heart and soul to this day.

Ivan's question also had me thinking on the lines of authors who influence or change my life, rather than the books themselves. This past year I've concentrated mostly on reading new authors, generally newly published and/or self-published authors. This has turned me into an eclectic reader, which I believe has been a good thing for me. Because I wish to get to know the authors a bit more personally I find myself reading books on themes I might not have read in the past, so I am stretching my interests and knowledge base and I feel this is a good thing.

Great books and great authors -- nothing better except for maybe my good girl of a dog, Tidbit, lying alongside me while I read.

7 comments:

  1. I KNEW that everyone else would have a better answer than I did! :) I do have Women Who Run With the Wolves among my I-must-read-before-I-die list! Great answer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Women Who Run With the Wolves. I'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will probably come of something as a surprise but the book that changed/influenced my life (more than any other) is a non-fiction book. I know we all focus on novels and the fanciful fiction we love to read but The Four Work Week is the book that gets all the credit. I know the title sounds fictional but it really isn’t. Hop over to my blog and find out why – http://www.howardsherman.net

    Happy Book Blogger Hop Day!


    Howard A. Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a single book to point to. Come by and see why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie & Music4Betty, you will love Women Who Run With the Wolves; an excellent book filled with storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping through. Women Who Run With The Wolves sounds like a really interesting title.
    Happy weekend!
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone has such interesting answers...love the question.

    Stopping by from the hop...

    Find my answer at:

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!