Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sixty-Six Days with my Uncle the Author

Today it is an honor for me to share a book with you authored by my Uncle Lloyd. First, let me tell you a bit about Uncle Lloyd, the man. We will get to the book a little later.

Uncle Lloyd was married to my mother's sister, Mary, until she died from cancer. He has since remarried to a lovely lady. Lloyd and Mary had two sons, my cousins Johnny and Bobby.

When I was a young girl, I recall my Uncle Lloyd being sick, tuberculosis I think, but do not quote me on that being fact. I do recall when we would visit that my uncle never hugged or touched us and my aunt was a "germ freak."

Thus, my favorite memory of my Uncle Lloyd was one from a family reunion in 1999. This reunion was held on my Aunt Helen's 5-acre piece of land and 76 members of the clan were present, many of us camping out on the property for more than a week. We are pretty much a rowdy bunch of hillbillies, so we were drinking, smoking, really partying it up. I will never forget someone yelling, "Here comes Uncle Lloyd!" It was as though an alarm had been sounded! Everyone dashed to hide their beer cans and cigarettes and put on their shirts, ha! Not me! I may be a "heathen" but you can take me or leave me, just the way that I am!

Back to that special moment ... I walked right up to my Uncle Lloyd and hugged him ... And HE hugged ME right back! I think that is the only time my Uncle Lloyd ever hugged me and I will never forget that he did. And I will never forget that he stayed all day and late into the night out there in the country with his family, right down to the earth with the rest of us!

My Uncle Lloyd is a retired pastor in the Church of the Nazarene here in Ohio. He has authored several books.

Today I share from my signed copy of Sixty-Six Days Sixty-Six Books: A Brief Message From Each Book of the Bible, by author Lloyd D, Grimm, JR.

100 words from The Proof of Our Love, page 89. Background Scripture: St. Mark 5:1-20:


"We are prone to take for granted that most men know the basics of our Christian faith, but it is not so, even here in America. Years ago in one of my pastorates, I contacted a young boy on the street and invited him to our church. After talking awhile, he asked me, "What time does the show start?" But there are many adults groping in darkness, who are just as ignorant of the soul saving message we have to offer.

Again I say the greatest proof of our love for Jesus is to obey Him by heeding His..."



Purchase Sixty-Six Days Sixty-Six Books used via Amazon or direct from the publisher at Schmul Publishing Co.

I trust you have enjoyed this week's segment of WoW Weekly 100 Words. I invite you to blog hop along and share 100 words from a book on your reading list too!

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely family story, Ruth. You created a nice memory that day for both you and your uncle, I'm sure. :)

    Wishing him all the best with his book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I hope Uncle Lloyd sells hundreds of books to continue his ministry.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a really fun reunion...you are very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, that family reunion was an awesome one, in many ways and days. Yes, I am blessed by the experience, thank you!

      Delete
  3. great family story....I have so many too from our many, many family reunions. Wishing Uncle Lloyd much success with his book and his ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rory. Family reunions can surely leave us with fond lingering memories. Uncle Lloyd has published a couple more books which I will share one day soon.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!