Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Books Make Great Tips

Previously a server I often received some great tips; some monetary and some worth more than mere money. A few months ago one of my guests was reading while eating his breakfast. Of course, I inquired about the book he was reading and friendly conversation ensued. When the guest left and I was clearing the table I was delighted to see he had left me the book with a couple of dollars tucked inside like a bookmarker. Books make great tips! (Especially when the bookmarker is cash!)

Sharing 100 words from Another Valley, Another Victory, Another Love by Valetta Steel Crumley, page 151 of chapter 8, "Reasons of the Heart":

Another Valley, Another Victory, Another Love
"As I share my testimony in churces, homes, and at women's retreats, the question I am most often asked is: "After all you've been through--losing a child to leukemia, a husband to Hodgkin's disease, the sudden death of your two remaining children in an automobile accident--after all that, how can you retain your faith in a loving God? How can you go on smiling, praising the Lord, talking about his goodness? It doesn't make sense."
I answer that nowhere in Scripture are we told that because we are God's children we will be spared the harsh realities of human life."

-----

What are your thoughts on belief or non-belief of God as pertains specifically to the topic of the suffering of humanity? Do life happenings test your faith in a god?

-----

Do you think books make great tips? Have you ever given or received a book as a tip for sevice?

-----



WoW Weekly 100 Words is a blog hop for book lovers; readers and authors. Blog hop along--share 100 words from a good book each week.

8 comments:

  1. Of course they do when the money tip is inside :)
    My only recent book reviews are on squidoo. I made the decision to put them there instead of my blog for the duplicate content thing....unless they are specifically to be read and reviewed in my blog of course.
    This does sound like a really great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, great when money is included, Marsha! But, also from an author point of view, a book as a tip could gain new readers!

      The book is very good and is the second in a series by the author, the first being "Thrice Through The Valley".

      Hope to see you link up this week with a 100 Word share, Marsha!

      Delete
  2. I've never thought of leaving a book as a tip. As long as you still leave money - I think this is awesome!!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it a great idea, too, Sharon, which is why I decided to share this book and tip in my WoW 100 hop this week.

      Thank you for stopping by and hope to see you hop along!

      Delete
  3. I, personally, would love to receive a book as a tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a server off and on in my college days, and I think that was a WONDERFUL tip :D BTW, I just linked up with your book giveaway hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby, nice to meet you! See, as a server, I am not surprised you would agree a book is a good tip! I have received several book tips and always enjoyed the tip and the book.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!