Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Service With a Smile a Part of Growing Up In Boom Times

This Baby Boomer blast from the past comes to us from page 88 of Chapter Twelve, "What a Gas" of Growing Up In Boom Times:


     "I worked at the Clark station in Keego Harbor. All we sold was premium gas and oil—and service. My training for the job consisted primarily of how to give good service. Good service meant smiling, being polite, always wiping windshield (front and back), and asking if customers wanted their oil checked. It also meant putting air into tires if asked--or better, if a tire looked low, suggesting it. For all this the customer paid 34.9 cents for a gallon of gas, a price which didn't go up at all until the mid-70's.
     Good service at the Clark station did have..."


Previously shared excerpts of Growing Up In Boom Times:

100 Words from Baby Boomer and Author Chris Brockman
Wild Berries and Grampas


WoW Weekly 100 Words is a book blog hop-a-long. Share a 100-word excerpt of a book you are currently reading. Just snag the hop badge and link, add it to your post on your blog, then return here to add your blog post to the linky list provided at the end of this post.

For your Information: I use The Word Count Tool to count my book excerpts.

3 comments:

  1. The more I read about it the more I know I'd enjoy this book. Here in Oregon we still have people serving us with gas--I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila, there's no doubt in my mind you would enjoy Chris's book. Every now and again I find a station with service and I love it too! Especially in the wintertime, and I'm a great tipper!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!