Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wild Berries and Grampas

As I read from the pages of Growing Up In Boom Times, it is difficult to choose which 100 words to share with you. I am enjoying each little morsel, with each tale tasting a bit more about my author friend, Chris Brockman. The problem is that I want you to know Chris, too, so I seem to select excerpts from his book that manage to hint at the character of the man I have come to like, to trust, and to respect within the past two years or so online at Gather.

Today, I share with you (from Chapter Three) a tidbit from Chris and his family's wild berry saga:

     "...a continuation of my own grampa's legacy.
     Last summer, while visiting Adrienne and Kevin in Western Michigan, Rowan begged me to take him blackberry picking, So, Julie, Rowan, his little brother Shay, and I explored the neighborhood bordering Lake Michigan and found a fine patch of dewberries, a close-to-the ground variety of blackberries. Rowan and Shay excitedly announced each time they picked a berry how big this one was, and it was music to my ears. We picked more than enough to renew their supply of gramps jam and the spirits of at least a couple of grampas before me."


I wish to assure you that you do not have to be of the Age of Baby Boomers to enjoy Growing Up In Boom Times. You are welcome to follow along with me each week as I share from this book or you can purchase your own copy and read along with me.

Previous WoW 100 excerpts of Growing Up In Boom Times:
  1. 100 Words from Baby Boomer and Author Chris Brockman


7 comments:

  1. Darlin', you know I'll try, but you also know me well enough to know that I'll probably forget about it pretty soon. I'll try, honest, I'll try to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like quite a romp through memory lane. I also know you like us to share what we are reading at the moment, but to be honest with you I just can't get into anything right now and have not joined in for the past few weeks on this hop and wanted to join along :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Len, your presence on my blog posts are always a pleasure. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this book sounded just delightful when i read about it on goodreads and now even more so because of the excerpt from the book and the fact that you think the author is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, it is a great book! And Chris is a wonderful friend! I'll be sharing more of Growing Up In Boom Times along my reading journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruthi,

    I've just returned from Michigan, where my grandkids couldn't wait to go blackberry picking. It's dry there, but we picked enough to make a batch of jam, and is it ever good! This is a wonderful tradition that all of us will remember for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, it is wonderful you were able to go berry picking back home again. Yes, a tradition, and memories that will last a lifetime.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!