Wednesday, May 4, 2011

WoW 100 Words -- Ready! Aim! Fire!

WoW Weekly 100 Words:

Although this is a Wednesday book blog hop, you are welcome to hop in at any time throughout the week. Just grab the button and link for your blog post where you share exactly 100 words from your current read(s) and add your post URL to the linky list provided at the end of this post. Feel free to share anything else you'd like on your post, especially book-related items. And be sure to visit and/or introduce yourself to others on the WoW list during the week.

I use The Word Count Tool to count my book excerpts. I type in the box provided, then once I have 100 words, I copy and paste it right into my blog post.

----------

Reading from the novel, Sworn To Secrecy For Life: A Young American Spy's Odyssey through War-torn Germany and Russia, by author Charles Joseph Fickey. The following 100 word excerpt is taken from Chapter 32, "Karl Sleeps", page 190:

He heard the Russian officer giving the commands, "Ready! Aim! Fire!" Eight rifles fired sumultaneously, and he felt all eight shots hit. The officer gave the commands, "Right Shoulder Arms! Right Face! Forward March! Second Rank, one step forward! Ready! Aim! Fire!" The second rank fired, hitting him, and then right faced and marched away.

This went on through five ranks, with Karl slumped at the post. He looked up, and hollered at the Russian Officer, "How many times are you going to kill me?"

The officer answered, "Fifteen thousand." Then the sixth rank fired.

"Why don't I die?" Karl cried.

Purchase Link: Sworn to Secrecy - For Life: A Young American Spy's Odyssey through War-torn Germany and Russia



4 comments:

  1. Did you start without me? She says as she rushes up to the starting line only to find that everyone has already gone home? Did I oversleep? What?
    LOL Sorry a day late --- But I made it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brenda! I'm catching up, finally -- you didn't have to give me an "It's Wednesday" reminder, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sorry i didn't do this the last two weeks! i really missed it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. No need to apologize, Stephanie! I'm happy to see you WoW whenever you can do so!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!