Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WoW 100 Words Putzfrau Lives Among Thousands Dead

To Stephanie -- The Putzfrau lived! -- And she berated the German officers for their behavior, in grand motherly fashion.

Now, I continue to share from the novel, Sworn To Secrecy For Life: A Young American Spy's Odyssey through War-torn Germany and Russia, by author Charles Joseph Fickey. The following 100 word excerpt is taken from Chapter 45, "Berlin, Fourth Day", page 287:


"...Aren't you going to ask me?"
     "Ask you what?" Karl asked stupidly.
     "Dummy! To go to my room," Irina answered.
     "Why?" asked Karl.
     "Don't you realize this is how I make my living?" she said.    
     Karl gave her that look.
     "You think that is terrible, don't you? Well, how many people have you killed?" she asked.
     Karl gave an honest reply, "Thousands." and he described the battle at Pripet Marsh. It made him sick to think about it.    
     "Am I worse for sleeping with a man at night than you, killing so many people?" Irina asked.
     This really cut through..."


Add Author Charles Joseph Fickey as a Facebook Friend. If you like, you can tell him you've been reading excerpts of his book posted here at Ruthi Reads!

Although this is a Wednesday book blog hop, you are welcome to hop in at any time throughout the week. Just grab the button and link for your blog post where you share exactly 100 words from your current read(s) and add your post URL to the linky list provided at the end of this post. Feel free to share anything else you'd like on your post, especially book-related items. And be sure to visit and/or introduce yourself to others on the WoW list during the week.

I use The Word Count Tool to count my book excerpts. I type in the box provided, then once I have 100 words, I copy and paste it right into my blog post.


3 comments:

  1. Ruthi,
    I know you are already out for the night...but this will be a nice surprise for you at 1 AM...LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila, I know you do a lot of reading and sure wish you'd hop along!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.
Blessings & a bit o' sunshine!